Monday, September 04, 2006

Posing...



Oh man, oh man, when I go to the Korean market BOY do I feel like a poser.

So let it be said that my Korean is very limited. I mean I get by in a conversation, but by no means very fluent.

Anyways, I went to the Korean market today. You know, I was low on the Kimchi and rice. But the family that owns the market, though always very friendly, I always feel like I am offending them. As with any language, I was raised that there are certain tenses of words and sentences that are used in conversation. And is especially important when a young person is talking to an older person. Just a gesture of respect.

And I never remember those... those items.

I'm sure the couple knows that my Korean is limited. That I am a product of a Western society. But I just have memories ringing in my ear of my mother yelling at me that I am fucking up my Korean.

And of course it dosen't help that everyone in the market is fluent.

I don't know. Just feel like I am posing sometimes.

No comments: