Friday, March 21, 2008

My Latest Obsession? Realization?

So let's be honest, us guys, we buy clothes for comfort. At least I do... or did. You know if a pair of jeans is comfortable on the waist, so what if it's a little long on the inseam, I'll just roll it, right?

You know, little elements like that, really make for a sloppy appearance, no? I mean, it's fine if I was still in college. But as I enter my third decade, it occurs to me that maybe, just maybe, I should be thinking about my clothes.

In what respect you ask?

Well, my latest obsession, dressing my body to fit my proportions. Making sure that things fit like they should, rather then dressing because it's comfortable. That said, you don't have to sacrifice comfort for being fitted. But, I don't know, I think I should grow up a little bit, no?

So enter GQ.

I won't tell you how I came across this microsite, but GQ has a site where for a month they will give you a new style tip everyday. Now, not surprisingly, there are days where it's, "every man should have a proper shoulder bag, so why not try this Louis Voutton bag that's a gazillion dollars..." BUT there is a lot of great information there for guys. Like what one should look for when buying a suit, how it should fit, and all the variations of a suit. Or how you can mix business wear with casual where. And when it's good wear certain things with others.

But most importantly, proportions. If something is long, hem it. Buying a dress shirt, make sure the sleeve stops at the hinge of your wrist. Really stressing fitting your proportions.

It may sound like a trivial thing. Like if you're comfortable, what's the big deal? Well, simply, as I enter my third decade of life, I'm wondering, nay, feeling like I can't live like I'm in college anymore. I should start thinking about not only how to dress myself, but also my home. Basically, though for the most part I feel I am mature, but have all aspects of my life reflect that.

Now I'm not going to go out and buy a Pottery Barn living room set, or that $900 dresser from West Elm. But, that coffee table handout that I nailed a leg back on to and is riddled with X-ACTO blade cuts from college... well that has to go.

If you know me, don't expect a overnight change. Because, well, I just can't afford that. But it's something that's been on my mind, and hopefully be considerate of moving forward.

But where am I going with this huge lead up?

Well at work, we filmed this video for a corporate event. Of which I was to be running around and doing all sorts of stupid exercise crap. In preparation, I bought a track jacket and matching shorts. And I have this say as I picked up my default "L" off the rack and went in the dressing room. I stood, looked in the mirror, and spent a good 30 minutes analyzing and thinking, "Does this fit me properly?"

You think that would be a easy thing to determine, yea not so much. I started looking at how they dressed their manniquins, asked a store clerk for her opinion, grabbed a smaller size, and did some more looking in a mirror. Put the large back on... seriously this was a back and forth that lasted probably another good 30 minutes.

For a track jacket.

Who knew shopping could be so problematic.

But GQ worked knew their stuff, put the knowledge to work, and got a jacket that fits well, I'm not swimming in it... just the selection process was so stressful...

...I think adulthood is going to be a little exhuasting.

No comments: