Thursday, September 28, 2006

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?



So I had a frustrating conversation with my girl tonight. She asked me about my day, and I was expressing certain frustrations about a project I was working on at the office. Explaining how certain revisions and directions didn't make sense to me, and didn't agree with.

"Like what?", she asked.

I went on to explain the project was a print piece and how a lot of the revisions, to me, were very much based on a interactive/web point of view.

But she wasn't understanding me.

And the more I explained it, the more she didn't understand. And the more we talked about the more frustrating everything got. It was like no matter which way I went about explaining my point of view, apparently I was not making my point. And with each explanation just came another blank expression.

Then 10 some odd minutes in of frustration. I made somesort of gesture with my hands, used all the right words in the right places. Then all of a sudden it all made sense.

And I can't help but wonder, is a lot of conflict I have in life a result of I am simply not able to make my point? Am I not the sauve litigator I know myself to be?? Am I not the well-spoken Korean man my mother gushes over???!! Or as Jackie Chan said, "Do you not understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?"

Alas I am a man unmended and unmade (dang, I love that line).

No comments: