Thursday, September 27, 2007

a brief, cliffnotes version about Koreans, and dreading a little getting older...

Okay, so I'm 29,considered a "young" adult. So if you're younger then me, you would regard me as "heyoung", there maybe another term or two. But we'll go with heyoung. Now adults, for men, if you're younger you would regard the elder as "ah-ga-cee".

Okay, so there's this convenience store across the street from me run by a Korean family. So I go in one day and the daughter is "hello" and shit. But her mom is giving her a hard time, telling her she needs to be proper since I am older...

"UmMa, I say hi all the time..."

"Wait, how old are you?"

"29"

And the daughter was all, "oh, wow, I'm gonna have to call you ah-ga-cee soon..." Citing that 30 is the magic number of, "Hey welcome to the rest of your life, you're old!"

Yea, that was a fascinating thing to encounter, but I told her "hi" is just fine.

No comments: