Sunday, September 30, 2007

Pressure is such an interesting animal...

...and it doesn't help when you second guess yourself either. So here's the thing, at work we have these Employee Recognitions, where when recommended the nominee gets a $100 bones right? So, I had noticed a lot of times the nominations always spoke of moments of dire circumstances, which I only can imagine are few and far. But you know, what about the little moments right? Those little moments of the day helping one another, that always seem to get lost in the shuffle. Whether it's helping a co-worker concept, or helping a friend with a tech problem, just the small moments of the day that don't involve a big client fire.

What about those moments?

So I thought it would be fun to nominate those people, people to whom I would share those little moments that share people helping people in the day to day.

So here's the interesting thing right... I think I have done 3 nominations, and I was only present for the first (had meetings during the last 2). The first got a few laughs... supposedly the 2nd was hilarious, and the third... I don't know if it's true or not, but I am told when it was introduced as "...and we have another employee nomination from Ben Lee..." People started clapping before the thing was read.

That's just bizarre to me.

So where am I going with this? Well the head honcho for the team I'm on always jokes, and asks, "Will you nominate me? Just so I can hear what you would write. You're such a good writer..." But the funny thing is, he really deserves to be recognized. He's just one of those amazingly great people, you know the ones who will always put you ahead of his own needs. Always willing to help, and always stand by you if you need support. He always creates a very comfortable vibe, you never feel like you have to act in a fashion that is not yourself, and that's really cool.

So I decided to pass in a nomination for him.

And let me tell you I have never felt so much pressure in my life!

I mean, I am writing this thing, and I go through draft upon draft... and all I can think about is the stories of how each nomination got a bigger and bigger response... then I think about how this man I want to nominate is pretty incredible, and complements my writing (and I don't consider myself a good writer...). So I sat, and toiled over this thing. Because, never before did I want something to be good.

Yea, so I think I went through like 4 drafts before hitting my stride... it helped that I had quite a few cups of beer by the 5th draft... But it's handed in... I hope it's good, I hope it gives the people some laughs (laughs are kinda needed at work lately too), and I hope the head honcho feels some love...

...but we'll see.

No comments: