Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Art Director by Day, Artist by Night...

So here's thing, my education lies at a little art college called the Kansas City Art Institute. I am formally trained in illustration, printmaking, with a little dabbling in sculpture all in various mediums.

Fearing the market in the fine arts industry, I started adding design into my education which ultimately landed me at an international advertising agency.

There I work as an Art Director, specially working in online marketing/advertising.

Not a lot of call for fine arts in my day job.

Well today, the team I am on is preparing for a BIG presentation on Thursday. The client, well known for collectible figurines, is making an endeavor to a younger market.

The catch?

Well, they would like to produce a tie-in product.

We brainstormed. And we decided on Kid Robot-esque vinyl toys. I was asked to produce sketches of how this might look, but then it was joked that I should produce a prototype. To which I jokingly replied, "Sure I can."

To which the reply was, "I'm just kiddi--, wait, can you?"

And with that, I find myself sculpting tonight. Been spending all night doing this, missed my league bowling night... ugh.

And I have to say, really self-conscience about the whole thing. I mean, here is a company that specializes in sculpture, and I'm to turnaround something awesome in a night to show them when I haven't picked up my tools in god knows how many years?

Yea, I know I have no one to blame but myself. I should learn to say "no". Oh but the things we'll do to try and get ahead.

Well, back to the workshop.

No comments: