Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Charity and Emo, a Match Made in Heaven?

So I find myself doing a lot of volunteer/charity work lately. Next thing on deck? Donate my time and art to a fundraiser for the Arts in Kansas City. It's something I feel very passionate about, but for the moment I'm... I don't know how to explain it... I don't want to make another "pretty" picture, I want the work to have substance. I always told my friends that the greatest art was art that had narrative. So as long as a piece of art spoke to you in some way, shape, or form, that dialog is just as valid form of a appreciate of art as any. And you can tell any houtie-toutie Art History Major that says otherwise to fuck off.

But for the moment I am not concerned with the viewer, but more with myself. I want this to have some greater substance for me. To tell a story, rather then just have one interpreted when sometimes there was no story to be told.

Outside of my sequential work (read: comics), I've never really had this thought process before when it came to my personal work. And for better or for worse, I can say that I haven't been happy in my life as of late... not upset or sad either. So I guess that leaves me in some strange middle limbo. But that leaves some indulgent emo boogie behind... And I don't know how much I'm a fan of that. But when it comes to the task to producing work... might be useful... probably not.

Anyway, this is me, venting, sharing, probably at a time when I should be drawing or painting. I don't know.

Anyway, if you're in KC, I'll post when the art appreciation goes down, and you can tell me if I'm a art communicating failure. (nice huh?)

No comments: