Thursday, February 14, 2008

Seriously.

So if you're gonna get mad at someone, be sure you're mad for the right reason. Or at the very least, a justified one.

Take today for example. I discover someone to whom I consider a friend is going through something heavy. Don't know what, but it's enough to know it's heavy. I call to see if she's okay. After the call, a co-worker of mine is asking me who I was talking to, what was up. And I politely explained I didn't feel it appropriate to discuss it. The co-worker looked disgruntled, frustrated, and sort of gave me the "Are you serious? We talk about everything!" kind of look. And she pretty much gave me the cold shoulder the rest of the day.

Now let's examine this for a moment. She may know of my friend, but by no means knows my friend. So if I told my co-worker what was up, there would be no effort to try and give support or cheer the person up, I very much took her curiousity as to know some gossip.

And that's really never a good reason to give something up.

But yea, cold shoulder given. And all I can think is, "seriously?". I can appreciate feeling like you were left out of the loop, but it wasn't my place to share, and if things were explained politely and not, "none of your fucking business", really, are you seriously mad? But yea, not gonna give someone I care about to the gossip train.

But the co-worker will get over it, and I hope my friend will be okay. And things will be back to normal.

But yea, if you're gonna get mad, be sure you got a good reason.

No comments: